Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Picky Pizza-Chicago Style


While in Chicago, it was absolutely necessary to try as many pizza places as I could without making myself sick. So off I went to the first stop, the original  Pizza Uno. Since their first opening in 1943, the team at Pizza Uno has stayed true to their famous Chicago style deep dish pizza recipe that I am sure they are proud of, but I must say I left Uno's hoping the next stop would be more enjoyable.

When we walked into the small area where the hostess booth is stationed, we ordered our pizza before sitting to cut down on the waiting time as it takes 45 mins from the oven to plate. The dining room was remarkably cramped and the tables were no different. Our waitress was very sweet and attentive compared to the hostess. We ordered the lunch special that includes a soup or salad. The salad was just some lettuce (iceberg at that) and onions thrown in a bowl, paired with some flavorless vinaigrette dressing. I was more than ready to move on to the next course. Bring on the Veggie Pizza.

Finally, out came my pizza, from the looks of things, my dining experience was about to take a turn for the better. I cut a piece of pie, which looked quite watery, and started noshing. The crust was very hard almost like forgotten cornbread in the oven. The cheese was not  melted all the way and the quality of it was not impressive either. The tomato sauce was watery and lacked zest. I took another bite, just to try to make myself like it since there are so many positive reviews out there. Nope, still bland. The best part of our meal was the beer I had and us getting the check.

Pizzeria Uno = Pizzeria Oh No

Deliciously Yours,
The Culinary Cutie

29 E Ohio St
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 321-1000

No comments: