Thursday, November 11, 2010

Cutie at the Capital

Greetings my little cuties, I know it has been a while since you have read my words or had me on your foodie radar. I am back and ready to get on my hungry high horse and express my inner foodie feelings. I have missed you all dearly.

Now it's time to give you what you came for, my rendezvous to The Capital Grille. The Capital Grille is known for their in house dry aged steaks and extensive wine list which was enough to entice me.

If you're thinking "the last time I went to Capital Grille, I thought I was at a blue hair convention", this time is not far from the last. The crowd is definitely more "seasoned" and not in a spicy sassy way. You will see mostly business men having meetings over dinner, a couple sharing a romantic celebration, or a group of ladies that lunch circa 1969.

I am sorry to say that I did have a preconceived idea of what my dining experience was going to be before I walked through the revolving door. The Capital Grille is part of the Darden Company and shares a platform with other chain restaurants such as Olive Garden and Red Lobster, so I wasn't expecting too much. I had a gift card with nothing to lose. Thank goodness to the Gods of seared beef and butter poached lobster I was wrong.

My meal started with the soup of the day, lobster bisque. The consistency was thick and creamy, but there was something missing in the flavor of the dish, it actually was little ordinary. I would have liked to taste a splash of Cognac or Sherry along with a dash of hot pepper sauce. The next item up for grabs was the entree of a filet mignon and butter poached lobster with a side of sautéed spinach with garlic and lobster mac and cheese. Spinach check, lobster mac and cheese...not so much. It was too sweet and not savory enough, nice concept just not well executed.

Left with a full belly, but I wouldn’t come back to fill up.
Raise your walkers to The Capital Grille.

Deliciously Yours,
The Culinary Cutie

5365 Westheimer Road
Houston, TX 77056
713-623-4600

No comments: