Sunday, July 11, 2010

Canopy

The Culinary Cutie loves to enjoy brunch at Shade in the heart of the heights. So when I heard that the owner/chef of Shade, Claire Smith, was opening another restaurant called Canopy located on Montrose, I had to stop in a check it out. I know what you’re thinking, Geez Mrs. Cutie, Canopy has been open for quite some time. First I say to you, SO? Second of all I tried to go when it first opened on a Sunday, and I am guessing they were about to close since the young women at the front ignored me until I left. I didn’t let that experience stop me from bringing my little food lovers the greatest and sometimes not the latest delicious treats.

The feeling of Canopy is an open and airy vibe with a simple earthy twist. The crowd at Canopy was young and vibrant filled with lots of lively chatter. Our waitress greeted us after we were seated and took our drink orders. I had the Montrose Queen which consisted of Campari, Orange Bitters, and Champagne. It had a refreshing a crisp taste.

For my appetizer, I had the crab cake with fried green tomatoes. This was absolutely delicious. The tomatoes added such an element of surprise to the dish which was well appreciated. I try crab cakes everywhere I eat and I think that the execution of the crab cake presentation and preparation was top notch.  We also tried the quail which my husband thoroughly enjoyed.


For my salad course I chose the Tomato Salad with pumpkin seeds, and feta cheese. What a great course to whip up at your homes for the summer. So far I give my visit an 8 on a scale of 1-10.


My entrĂ©e, which was my least favorite, was the fried pork cutlets. I choose the dish because the waitress made the suggestion and the sides sounded so well put together I couldn’t say no.  Unfortunately the breading was more of a shell than a coating, which caused the golden casing to break away from the meat leaving only the thin piece of cutlet to fend for itself, all by its lonesome.

To end on a positive note, I had the lemon ice box pie for dessert. If you are not careful it would be easy to become addicted to this dessert. With all of the right flavors interacting with one another it couldn’t be wrong eating two slices in one sitting. I digressed and only had one. 

Whatever you are in the mood for, Canopy has you covered.


3939 Montrose Boulevard
Houston, TX 77006

No comments: